Casual Trading Licencing

Casual Trading means selling goods on the public road or at a place where the public has access as of right and any other place that is designated a casual trading area.  

Under the Casual Trading Act 1995, anyone engaging in casual trading must hold a Casual Trading Licence. A Casual Trading Licence is a requirement under the Casual Trading Act to sell goods on the public road or in a public place.  It is an offence under this Act to trade without a valid Casual Trading Licence. Casual trading is divided into a Designated Casual Trading Area and Event Trading. 

Limerick City Council has designated casual trading sites in the City in accordance with the Casual Trading Bye-Laws. To be in compliance with these Bye-Laws, trading must not be carried out outside of the zoned areas/bays, times and dates. A Licencing Enforcement Officer regularly patrols the trading area and on request, the licencee must produce a valid Casual Trading Licence. 

Designated Casual Trading Area

The Designated Casual Trading Area refers to certain streets which are designated as casual trading areas to sell certain types of goods. The Casual Trading Bye-Laws list all areas which are designated as casual trading areas; the type of goods that can be sold and the times of trading. A valid Casual Trading Licence is required to trade in these areas.   

Limerick City Council’s Designated Casual Trading Area can be found in the following locations:

  • Robert Street
  • Cornmarket Row
  • Carr Street
  • Un-named public road schedule number 504 (Bordering Carr Street and Mungret Street)

In order to obtain a casual trading licence from Limerick City Council a F12 - Casual Trading Application Form (517 Kb) must be completed. At present all pitches in the Casual Trading Area are let.  Limerick City Council operates a waiting list. Any traders who wish to apply for the waiting list can do so in writing to the Planning & Development Department, Limerick City Council, 1st Floor City Hall, Merchants Quay, Limerick or alternatively with their request. This should include:

  • Contact details. 
  • An Irish Personal Public Service Number (PPS No.) if the Applicant is an individual.
  • A Tax Reference Number if the Applicant is a company.
  • Public Liability Insurance cover is also a requirement indemnifying Limerick City Council to the sum of €2.6m.
  • Description of item to be licensed.



Last update:22/06/2011